Members of the HKLB Coalition
- ACTIVE Life, Inc
- Addictions & Mental Health Division *
- American Heart Association
- American Lung Association in Oregon
- Bicycle Transportation Alliance
- Bogli Consulting Inc
- Children First for Oregon
- CURE Circle Yoga
- The Dental Foundation of Oregon
- Kaiser Permanente
- Kids on the Block Awareness Program - Impact NW
- MIKE Program (Multicultural Integrated Kidney Education Program)
- Multnomah County Health Department - Healthy Active Schools Program *
- Multnomah Education Service District (MESD) *
- National Association of Social Workers - Oregon Chapter
- OEA Choice Trust
- Office of Healthy Kids *
- Oregon Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (OAHPERD)
- Oregon Coalition of Local Health Officials (CLHO)
- Oregon Dental Association
- Oregon Department of Education *
- Oregon Environmental Council
- Oregon Medical Association
- Oregon MPH Program
- Oregon Nurses Association
- Oregon Pediatric Society
- Oregon Primary Care Association
- Oregon Public Health Division *
- Oregon Public Health Institute
- Oregon Safe Schools and Communities Coalition
- Oregon School-Based Health Care Network
- Oregon School Nurse Association
- Public Health - Seattle and King County *
- Rogue Valley Farm to School
- Shape Up Across Oregon
- SPARK PE and Wellness
- St. Charles Health System & Kids@Heart
- Step It Up, Inc.
- Tobacco-Free Coalition of Oregon, Inc
- Upstream Public Health
Take Action Now!
Please take a moment to tell your legislator why School Based Health Centers are important
Please take a moment to tell your federal legislator that the Safe Schools Improvement Act (SSIA) is important
Healthy Kids Learn Better Coalition (HKLB)
The Healthy Kids Learn Better Coalition is a statewide partnership of organizations and individuals working collectively to promote policies and programs that will reduce physical, social and emotional barriers to learning. Our goal is to build supportive funding, leadership and policies on the connections between health and education in order to keep kids safe, healthy, and ready to learn.
HKLB Coalition engages in policy advocacy to support the health and well-being of kids, youth, and schools. Our vision is that all youth in Oregon are healthy and successful learners who contribute positively to their communities.
Members of the HKLB Coalition believe in a coordinated school health approach. Coordinated school health provides a system in which schools and communities work together to support and enhance the following eight components:
- Comprehensive school health education
- Physical education
- School health services
- Nutrition programs and services
- Health promotion for staff
- Youth, family and community involvement
- Safe and healthy school environment and policies
- Mental health and counseling services
We believe that in order to support a coordinated school health approach, Oregon must have a sustainable system for:
- Adequate funding for schools and their partners to address physical, social and emotional barriers to learning.
- Collecting and using data on factors that promote and detract from healthy youth and families.
- Ensuring access for youth and families to health care and quality nutrition.
- Providing school aged youth with the knowledge and skills necessary to adopt lifelong healthy behaviors and physically active lifestyles.
- Maintaining safe and healthy school facilities and climates.